WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT GUA SHA FACIAL MASSAGE
Remember the internet trending skincare craze last year on Instagram and Tik Tok called Gua Sha? Well, it is okay if this is your first-time hearing about ‘gua sha’ facial care. But then, what’s the essence of writing this informative piece in the first place if not to enlighten you? Nevertheless, its origin dates back many centuries ago. Simply put, gua means scrape while sha means redness or purple spots. It is a face scraping or massage technique used to improve circulation and promote healing using smooth-edged tools. In this context, gua sha is a type of tool-assisted facial massage. It is based on the principle of old Chinese medicine text called Shan Han Lun dated 220 CE. The idea behind it is obtaining “sha” or redness, which encourages the skin to heal itself. Oftentimes, specialists apply it using gemstones or small wooden spoons.
When you hear that this ancient Chinese treatment entails the use of tools to scrape your face, you may cringe. However, you have nothing to worry about because acupuncturists gently apply it. The intensity depends on the types of knots the specialist wants to achieve. Most of the tools often have rounded edges, they will not cut, stab, or pinch you. That should alleviate your fears. Acupuncturists usually massage your face before beginning the treatment. The specialist will find the tense tissue, work on it gently, and gradually increase the intensity to promote all-around circulation. In the past, the gua sha was applied around the arms, legs and back, but it is now mostly used for facial appearance.
Benefits of Gua Sha Facial Massage
Gua Sha has three major benefits:
Stimulates facial circulation: When you target certain parts of your face, using gua sha can improve circulation around it. Remember, according to Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), when qi is stagnant, health problems are likely to set in. In other words, gua sha helps to kick out diseases from your body. Therefore, the essence of this treatment is to improve blood flow, nerve conduction and the flow of qi through the body
Relieves tension: If you have tension and tightness in some parts of your body (in this case, your face), you should consider using gua sha because it relieves tension and tightness. The most interesting thing about this TCM treatment is that its result lasts. Once the specialist is done applying it, it lowers or sometimes eliminates any symptoms or sensations that you experience.
Sculpts facial muscles: To get the desired result on your facial muscles, you should focus on your jawline and cheekbone areas. It helps release tight facial muscles and gives a temporary appearance to the sculpted face. Keep in mind, however, that it doesn’t get rid of the double chin, but it can temporarily ease off the puffiness in a flash. Upon completing the treatment, you will notice that you have reduced your wrinkles because it helps move the lymph through the system, thereby leaving you with a sculpted appearance.
How to Use Gua Sha Facial Massage
Nowadays, it is common to see people rub gua sha stones on their faces on social media. Well, to enjoy the benefits of this facial treatment, you should follow the steps I have painstakingly outlined below:
- Glide one of the tool’s smooth edges across your face for two strokes. Afterward, go in an upward and downward direction only
- As you do this, you should apply gentle pressure all over your face contours
- To make it glide very well, you may use cream, serum, or scented oil/mist on your face before using the tool
- When using the tool below the neck, lay on your front on a comfortable treatment bed using your favorite scented oil and apply long strokes of the gua sha tool along your arms, back, legs and neck
- Repeat this for 15 minutes three times a week starting from your neck way up your forehead.
Do’s and Don’ts of Gua Sha Facial Massage
- Do: Since you are applying this treatment to your face, you should always do it in the morning when you are most puffy. While at it, pay attention to your neck, throat, jaw, cheeks, eyebrows, foreheads, and under-eye areas.
- Don’t: If you have sensitive skin, don’t apply pressure because it can irritate your skin. However, you should also know that gua sha has little or no side effects at all, but it can make you uncomfortable or even lead to bruising or soreness when you apply too much pressure. That’s because too much pressure can burst your capillary beds.
- Do: Always ensure they are clean at all times. The good thing is that there is no clinical difference between any tools. The rule of thumb is to use a tool that you can easily clean and maintain.
- Don’t: Use it if you have a swollen face, try to avoid it completely.
- Do: It is okay to combine it with acupuncture
- Don’t: Rub a jade gua sha face tool all over your face.
- Even though this massage is for all, there are a few exceptions. If you have problems with circulation or diabetes, speak with your health care provider before going for this session. Similarly, if you have acne or rosacea, work around those spots or wait until the inflammation subsides
- Do: Speak up if it makes you uncomfortable, although this treatment isn’t painful. Doing so enables the specialist to adjust accordingly.
As much as you may find it a little painful the first time, the pain subsides as the session progresses because it reduces inflammation and makes you feel good!
Getting an Expert Gua Sha Facial Massage in South Florida
Thank you for reading thus far. I am Dr. Chen of Zhou Wellness Clinic and have been treating people using traditional Chinese medicine for years now. As an expert in facial rejuvenation and gua sha, I can assure you that the tidbits I shared in this article work, but you must strictly stick to my instructions. I have personally applied it to people; they came back weeks later to thank me after seeing the positive results. Additionally, researchers have conducted several studies to examine its efficiency and the results turned out positive.
Furthermore, I must mention that gua sha relieves headaches, migraines, neck pain and swelling in the body. As you can see this special facial treatment has numerous benefits. The good news is that you can do it yourself. Well, I hope you found this piece useful. If you want me to help you with gua sha facial treatment, you can contact me right now. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop them in the comment section; I will answer them as soon as I can! Lastly, don’t forget to try gua sha treatment in Plantation today!