Welcome to Zhou Wellness, your sanctuary for holistic healing and wellness. We are a dedicated team of professionals who believe in the power of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and its potential to transform lives. Our primary focus is acupuncture, a time-honored practice used for centuries to treat various conditions, including acne, and promote overall health.
What is acne?
Sebum is produced in sebaceous glands connected to the hair follicles on the skin, each containing a fine hair. Keratinocytes are skin cells that shield the skin from UV exposure to a certain degree. They also maintain skin hydration as they secrete keratin. This protein primarily composes the outermost layer of the skin.
Sometimes, the keratinocytes lining the follicle don’t rise to the surface as they should but remain in the pore with the hair and the sebum, creating a sticky situation clogging the pores. Inflammation then sets in as bacteria grow in this mixture, resulting in the redness, pain, and swelling accompanying the pimples and lesions associated with acne. Once the plugged follicle-wall fragments, the bacteria, skin cells, and sebum build up even more and impact the nearby skin, creating all-over inflammation.
While acne is a common skin condition affecting millions of people worldwide and can be frustrating, embarrassing, and even painful, at Zhou Wellness, we offer a holistic approach to acupuncture for acne compared to many conventional treatments that often come with side effects or temporary relief.
What causes acne?
Numerous studies have cited various factors, including genes, the environment, and individual skin factors. However, some predisposing factors include the following:
- The sebaceous glands overproduce sebum
- Keratinocytes within the follicle are shedding too fast and too much for the skin to cope.
- Skin bacteria, especially Propionibacterium acnes, colonize the hair follicle
- Inflammatory chemicals within the body are released, compounding the problem
As a Chinese Medicine Specialist, I adopt the TCM approach, which views acne as being caused by excessive heat within the body – it could be what we refer to as Lung Heat, Stomach Heat, or Damp Heat with blood stasis, and this, combined with the stagnation of the vital flow of Qi within the body to create the acne problem. As the condition worsens, the pathogenic heat within the body accumulates in the skin, bringing about the pustules and lesions seen with acne.
How can acupuncture help for acne?
We use acupoint stimulation to adjust the heat in the body, eliminate the dampness, and regulate the flow of blood and energy (Qi). Doing so increases the immunological function, allowing the body to cope better with bacteria. Certain studies have mentioned that acupuncture can inhibit the excessive sebum production in the sebaceous glands by regulating androgen levels. Androgens are the male sex hormones that increase in both boys and girls generally during puberty. They cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum, which can lead to acne in some cases. Hormonal changes related to pregnancy can also result in acne. According to this report, researchers believe a family history of acne can predispose a person to the condition and that certain medications containing hormones, corticosteroids, and lithium can also be a contributing factor.
Does acupuncture for acne work?
Several studies accompanied by clinical observations have reported the efficacy of acupoint-stimulation therapies for acne. A systemic review that assessed seventeen TCM randomized controlled trials suggests that acupuncture and moxibustion are better than conventional pharmaceutical medication for reducing symptoms of acne. Moxibustion is the burning of mugwort leaves placed close to the site being treated with acupuncture to help increase the efficacy of the acupuncture.
Why should you consider acupuncture for your acne?
Here are some reasons:
- Natural Treatment: Acupuncture is a natural treatment that does not involve any chemicals or drugs, meaning you won’t have to worry about any of the adverse side effects that often come with conventional acne treatments.
- Holistic Approach: Acupuncture doesn’t just target your acne; it aims to improve your overall health. Balancing your body’s energy flow can also help reduce stress, enhance sleep quality, and boost your immune system.
- Long-Term Results: While it may take a few sessions to see significant improvements, the results from acupuncture are often long-lasting because acupuncture addresses the root causes of acne, not just the symptoms.
- Personalized Care: At Zhou Wellness, we understand that everyone’s skin is different. Our acupuncturists will work closely with you to understand your skin and create a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
- Proven Effectiveness: Numerous studies have shown that acupuncture can effectively treat acne and many of our clients have seen significant improvements in their skin after undergoing acupuncture treatment at Zhou Wellness.
At Zhou Wellness, we are committed to helping you achieve clear, healthy skin through natural and holistic methods. We invite you to experience the benefits of acupuncture for acne and discover a new path to wellness. Contact us today to schedule your first appointment and start your journey towards healthier skin and a healthier you.